Saturday, December 13, 2008

Caramel Corn

Another cost effective gift is caramel corn; I can make a double batch for less than $1.

Caramel Corn

8 cups popcorn
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons margarine
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Begin by popping a large batch of popcorn; I like making this in the hot air popper so it will be light and fluffy. Remove all un-popped kernels and put popcorn in a large roasting pan.
Combine sugar, margarine, corn syrup and salt in a medium size pan; bring to a boil on medium high heat; boil hard for 5-minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; add baking soda and vanilla; stir well.
Pour over popcorn and gently stir to coat evenly; bake in a 300 degree oven for 15-minutes; stir and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Place on wax paper to cool.
Now I put the popcorn in gallon size plastic bags and seal with tape;
Then I place this in a Christmas bag to make it pretty.
I stock up each year on these fun Christmas bags when they are marked down to 5-cents each. One caramel corn filled bag cost me less than 40 cents!

3 comments:

Helen Ruth said...

Oh YUM. You know me and popcorn!!

I bought the stuff to make popcorn balls, but I'm swamped on so many other projects.

Ann said...

I think now I have to make popcorn AND pecans....hmm....crunch and munch!

Anonymous said...

If it's not too late, you can add some pecans to mine :)

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop