Monday, April 21, 2008

My Unexpected Day

Today began with me planning on doing more sewing for Elizabeth and ended instead with me cooking in the kitchen.

Yesterday after church I was able to purchase marked down hamburger meat at $1.15 per pound. I ended up buying several packages to put in the freezer for future use. This morning I discovered the freezer door did not close all the way and I had several packages of meat and a chicken that needed cooking right away! So, today I have been cooking taco meat and boiled chicken.
For the taco meat I simply added all the hamburger meat into a stock pot with a little water until it was browned. After draining the meat I added water, jalapeño peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper and salt and let it cook down for a couple of hours. Once the meat was cooled I put it into zip lock bags and labeled them for the freezer.
The chicken was boiled in water with onion, jalapeño peppers, tomatoes and salt until tender.
Once cooled I took the meat from the bones, strained the broth and now I have cooked chicken for enchiladas this evening. I sure am glad I discovered the freezer before anything had a chance to go bad; now hopefully I can get into the sewing room and start on Elizabeth’s outfit.

1 comment:

Helen Ruth said...

How long will your hamburger keep in those ziplock bags? Glad you were able to salvage your stash!

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop