Thursday, October 17, 2013

Potato Heaven

Last week one of our local grocery stores had an amazing sale on potatoes; 98-cents for a 5-pound bag!
Being the bargain shopper I am my mind began thinking of creative ways to preserve the potatoes for future meals.
When I had some free time I began sorting the potatoes by size; the medium and large potatoes were baked in the toaster oven one rack full at a time.
Once baked I cut them in half and scooped out the inside.
 The cooked potato was placed in a bowl with salt and pepper and margarine. I then mixed it gently with a fork so the potatoes would hold their shape and not become mashed potatoes.
After the potato mixture was ready I added it back to the potato skins.
 And topped it with grated cheddar cheese.
 The final step was bagging the potatoes into groups of 4, dating them and putting in the freezer.
Twice baked potatoes are my favorite and so easy to warm up at a minutes notice. Simple defrost in the microwave and then place in a warm toaster oven until the cheese melts.
Along with twice baked potatoes I have made mashed potatoes, fried potatoes and potato soup. Last on my list will be a loaf or two of potato bread!

2 comments:

Rachel E. said...

Awesome idea! I really enjoy a good potato once in a while.

Unknown said...

I totally need to do this!

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop