Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A Thrifty Project

With fabric going up in price, it's getting harder to sew cheaper than simply buying from the store. 
Last week I was shopping at the thrift store and found a small white cotton tablecloth for a dollar. The fabric was thick and soft and good quality; perfect for kitchen towels.
 I took time to rip out the hem; which added more than an inch to the overall size.
 Next I folded the tablecloth in half and cut; then each half section was cut into thirds. I now had 6 pieces to work with.
 My idea was to add a bit of trim to one end. I decided to use some vintage reproduction fabric cut at 2 1/2 inches wide before hemming.
 Once hemmed the trim was placed 2 inches from the edge and sewn in place.
 Each towel measures approximately 15"x25"; not as large as I prefer, but still a comfortable size.
If I don't count the cost of the trim, since I already had the fabric in my stash, these dishtowels came out to roughly 17-cents each.

No comments:

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop