Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I am not very good at making homemade flour tortillas but someday I plan to master them.
I can roll them out pretty well, but not round.

When it's time to flip them I am chicken...

And use a metal spatula.

They usually cook up well but are never soft enough to fold into a burrito.

So we eat them as a snack with peanut butter and honey or margarine.



Flour Tortillas


2 cups flour


1 teaspoon salt


1 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 cup shortening


1/2 cup warm water


Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until it resembles crumbs. Add water and mix until it forms a soft dough ball. Place in plastic for 10 to 20 minutes; this makes the texture of the dough more like elastic and easier to roll. Divide into small balls and roll flat. Cook on a hot griddle until brown on each side.

4 comments:

Packrat said...

Well,they certainly look good enough to eat. lol My aunt used to shape her tortillas with her hands. Wish I'd paid more attention to how she did it.

Anonymous said...

They do look good enough to eat :) I wonder if it would be easier to do them with your hands.. might give that a try.

Unknown said...

yum!! We love homemade tortillas. I have several hispanic friends who make fun of the way mine look. I tell them it's the gringo factor! Have you tried wrapping them in a towel after they are cooked. I wonder if capturing the steam from them would soften them up?

Anonymous said...

Just came across your site...lovely photos and recipes.

I think your problem with foldability might be solved by adding a T. of vinegar, I generally use Balsamic, but I think any kind would work. I learned this when making our version (alternative flours) and grabbed it instead of the olive oil....

Hope this helps...

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop