Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Vintage Clipboard

When I first spotted this vintage clipboard, buried under a pile of old notebooks, I just knew I had found a treasure.
 I love the body of the clipboard, it's solid wood.
 My plan is to hang this in the kitchen to be used for listing meal plans or to be used for my grocery list.



Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A Thrifty Project

With fabric going up in price, it's getting harder to sew cheaper than simply buying from the store. 
Last week I was shopping at the thrift store and found a small white cotton tablecloth for a dollar. The fabric was thick and soft and good quality; perfect for kitchen towels.
 I took time to rip out the hem; which added more than an inch to the overall size.
 Next I folded the tablecloth in half and cut; then each half section was cut into thirds. I now had 6 pieces to work with.
 My idea was to add a bit of trim to one end. I decided to use some vintage reproduction fabric cut at 2 1/2 inches wide before hemming.
 Once hemmed the trim was placed 2 inches from the edge and sewn in place.
 Each towel measures approximately 15"x25"; not as large as I prefer, but still a comfortable size.
If I don't count the cost of the trim, since I already had the fabric in my stash, these dishtowels came out to roughly 17-cents each.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Creativity

There is no doubt in my mind that my husband is one of the most creative people I know.
 
In October of last year, my beloved Chamber Stove was hauled to Ft. Worth to have a small gas leak fixed and to have the inside refurbished. 
This job took until February of this year; imagine living without a stove for 5-months.
 When the stove was delivered I began to wonder how I would keep it looking new; especially the top, which had been newly polished.
 When I use my canner, an All American brand, it sits past the burner grate and forms a brown heat ring, which I think is basically gas residue. This brown stain can only be removed with a good scrubbing; which scratches the stove top.
 In order to solve this problem my husband decided to make me a new, and bigger, burner grate.
Now my canner sits up high allowing air to flow under and around the bottom.
When I tested the new burner grate, it worked beautifully. No brown heat ring formed and my canner heated up with no problems; I was worried it might be too far from the flame to build up heat and pressure.
It feels wonder to have my stove back and it feels amazing to be canning once again!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Project Bag for Quilt Club

Each year when I attend quilt club I have used these handy plastic boxes to hold my quilt blocks.
 They are perfect for a 12-inch block.
 This year, for the first time ever, we are making 16-inch quilt blocks; which are way too large for my boxes.
So I decided to make a plastic project bag out of clear plastic used to cover furniture.
 The edges have been covered in fabric, made like bias tape only not cut on the bias.
I am very pleased with how this project bag turned out. There is plenty of room for all the blocks I will be making this year.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Farm Girl Vintage

The first time I heard of the book Farm Girl Vintage was at quilt club, when I spotted this cute clothesline full of 6-inch quilt blocks. It was love at first sight!
For Christmas the kids bought me a copy of the book.
I have enjoyed looking through the book over and over again. My plan was to make this Mama Hen first, in the 6-inch block.
Before starting on the Mama Hen I first wanted to make a mini design board that is used to keep all the small pieces together.
Lori Holt, the author, has a website where she gives instructions on how to make mini design boards:   http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2011/07/mini-design-board-tutorial.html
In the tutorial Lori Holt uses foam board but I didn't want to pay for it, so instead I glued two pieces of cardboard together; it worked just fine. The back of my board shows the cardboard instead of a pretty white, but that doesn't bother me since it's the front I'll be dealing with. By the way, if you decide to make a mini design board, be sure to use cotton batting; I used poly for my first try and it didn't work very well.
As I was cutting out my fabric for the Mama Hen, I was glad to have the project board; some of my pieces were 1-inch square!
The Mama Hen turned out just darling and I'm anxious to try out another block soon.
I love that my kids gave me this book for Christmas. It's so country, which is exactly the style I love in quilts.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sewing Class Drawstring Bag Project

Project number two for my upcoming co-op class is a drawstring bag. The outside is a lightweight denim and is lined on the inside with a red checked lightweight cotton fabric.
The monogram was made using a medium weight cotton apple print fabric. The bag has a nice country feel and I'm very pleased with how it all came together.

 For the drawstrings I simply used the same fabric that was used to line the bag. The ties were cut at 2-inches wide, the width of the fabric, tri-folded and iron before stitching.
As I was working on this bag I was afraid it might be too hard for a beginner sewing class, but decided it was nice enough to have the kids make it anyway; we'll simply spend the extra time needed to make it work.

Friday, January 1, 2016

Sewing Class Pillowcase Project

This semester I will be teaching a sewing class for our co-op group. Our first project will be a basic pillowcase. 
Normally I use two coordinating fabrics but decided to see how it would turn out using the same fabric for both the body and the cuff.


I top stitched my seam with a narrow satin ribbon which turned out better than I had expected. 
The kids should be very excited to make this as their first project!

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop