Saturday, July 19, 2008

Going to Grandma's

Grandma from Slaton called this morning to say Grandpa planted too much corn and they had an abundance. She wanted to know if we would like to come and get some?

Well, I had a freezer full of corn on the cob and wasn't sure if I wanted more; especially since my freezer is full to the brim. But, free corn is tempting so the kids and I went to Grandma's and picked corn. The ears were infested with worms, mostly at the tip of the cob. This was great because that meant the chickens would get a treat.
After shucking the cobs we cut the tips and fed this to the chickens.
We worked outside under a very large shade tree with the chickens under foot. We have a very comfortable cushioned swing that works well for sitting and doing your work.
Grandma also sent us home with some white cucumbers. I had never seen these before but they tasted just like a regular green cucumber.
Supper was corn on the cob.
Everyone enjoyed it a lot.
Especially Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy.. I didn't know Petra planted a garden.
I haven't saw or ate those white cukes since I was a kid on the farm. We didn't grow them but one of our neighbors did.

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop