Friday, August 29, 2008

Preserving Memories

When Jonathan was younger I taught him about sewing. Along with making the normal pillows, which is a good beginner project, I had Jonathan make a quilt. The batting we used was thick so the quilt would be plush. I didn't know a lot about machine quilting at this time so the layers were "tied". Jonathan has used this quilt on his bed for several years. It has been washed several time and for the most part, has held up pretty well. Recently I noticed an area where one of the blocks had come un-sewn and several of the "ties" have worked their way loose causing small holes to form on the back of the quilt. The kids and I recently pinned the quilt and I used my walking foot to re-secure it, which wasn't very easy since the batting is so thick.
Now all I lack is patching the small holes on the back of the quilt and then it will be good to go for another several years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a very pretty quilt... don't blame you for wanting to keep the memories intact.

Rebekah said...

what a pretty quilt! That's so great that you were able to teach your son about sewing with this quilt. I'm glad you were able to save it for more use :)

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop