Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Family Tradition

For the past several years we have been able to pick pecans for free. Down town has pecan trees by the courthouse, the library, the DPS as well as other buildings.
Picking from the trees is permitted by the city.
The kids love picking pecans; last year the trees did not produce due to the weather. However, this year the trees are very loaded.
After about 2 hours of picking we managed to gather 51 pounds of fresh tasty nuts. Our local grocery store sells pecans for $5.99 per pound.
For the next week our living room will become a shelling factory.
Some of the pecans are turned into candy to give as Christmas gifts; some are used in cooking; and some are used for snacking.
I love how picking pecans is a family affair as well as a money saving activity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling.. darn but you are so lucky.. the other day dad gave a guy $5 for a quart bag of them in the shell that he'd brought up here from GA.
I know they grow in the wild down in the Cape but it's not worth the gas to go after them.
Pop a couple in your mouth for me please.

Helen Ruth said...

WOW!!! Did you do the math? You picked about $300 worth of nuts!

Also, do you guys have HICKORY NUT trees around there? I miss picking those when we lived in Missouri.

Unknown said...

How fun! I remember we did this last year in Pensacola. We picked up SO many pecans! It was HARD work shelling them all - and I even paid to have them cracked at a store that sells pecans! I think I paid about $5 to get all my pecans cracked, I probably had 30lbs or so. But, I remember a lot of the pecans were rotten when I opened them up. I hope all yours are good!

Unknown said...

How fun! I remember we did this last year in Pensacola. We picked up SO many pecans! It was HARD work shelling them all - and I even paid to have them cracked at a store that sells pecans! I think I paid about $5 to get all my pecans cracked, I probably had 30lbs or so. But, I remember a lot of the pecans were rotten when I opened them up. I hope all yours are good!

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop