Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple Pincushion

For some time now I have wanted to make an apple pincushion; after a quick google search I found this photo tutorial and decided to give it a try.

I first began with a pretty apple.
Cut in half;
And then cut into thirds.
Next I took one section and cutout the apple leaving just the skin.
Now I needed some thin cardboard and settled on this cracker box.
I then gently laid the apple skin on the cardboard;
And marked an outline.
Now I took a ruler and marked 1/8 of an inch on the outside of my pattern for the seam allowance.
Now I have a perfect template.
Using my template I placed it on the wrong size of my fabric, marked it with a pencil and cutout my sections.
My apple took 6-sections in all.
Next I stitch each section leaving an opening for turning.
Once turned I stuffed with Polyfil.
I had trouble with my apple falling over so I added a button at the bottom and one at the top, inserted embroidery floss and tied it snug. This brought the bottom in just enough so my apple would sit flat.
The final step was adding a leaf.
My apple tilts slightly to one side but I am pleased with how it turned out.

1 comment:

Ann said...

How neat! Using a REAL apple for a pattern, rather than a purchased one. You're so creative!

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop