Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Homemade Wheat Thins

I love reading blogs and the ideas people share. Yesterday I found a recipe for homemade Wheat Thins and just had to give it a try using my own fresh ground whole wheat.
The recipe was for mixing by hand but I used my mixer.

To keep the dough from sticking to my cutting board I sprinkled it first with whole wheat flour.

The recipe makes a dough about the size of a large grapefruit.

Cut this into quarters.

And roll very thin. I was impressed with how easy it was to roll out the dough.

Using a pizza cutter cut your dough into squares. Next time I do this I will first trim away the rugged edges because these edges cooked first and got a little too dark.

Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. I wanted my salt to stick to the crackers so I smeared on water and then sprinkled my salt; it worked like a charm.

Bake your crackers in a pre-heated 400-degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Watch them closely because they cook very fast. I checked on them after 5 minutes and then again each minute until done.

The crackers taste similar to Wheat Thins and were worth trying. Next time I make these I would like to sprinkle garlic salt instead of regular salt to see how they turn out.

The recipe came from the web site Tracey's Culinary Adventures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to try to make wheat thins, I'll have to try some this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Look pretty good.

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop