Saturday, August 18, 2018

Peach Jelly

I love making jelly, so when a friend gave me some peaches, jelly was on my mind.
After letting the peaches sit on the counter for several day, they weren't ripe enough in the beginning, I started peeling and cutting the fruit into small pieces.
Sadly, the jelly didn't set up properly; even after I put it into the fridge.
 After reading on-line about how to save my jelly, I decided to give it a try. The directions I read about called for pectin powder that wasn't Sure-Jell.


For each quart (4 cups) of jam or jelly, mix  1/4 cup granulated sugar,  1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice and 4 teaspoons powdered pectin in a large kettle. Bring to a boil while stirring. Add jam or jelly and bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 30 seconds. Remove from heat, quickly skim foam and fill clean jars, leaving a  1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid; process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes.
After following the directions, I could tell right away that my jelly was going to set up and I'm very pleased with the results.

No comments:

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop