Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Garden So Far

Each year we try to have a garden but it isn’t always easy, especially since I have hay fever and most of the weeding is left to others. Last year we did pretty well and grew some wonderful carrots, watermelon, cantaloupes and tomatoes. Our potatoes didn’t make a thing; our cucumbers all had a bitter taste; and our green beans only produced enough for about two meals.

This year I decided to see how potatoes would grow in containers. I planted several containers and so far they are looking pretty good.Our tomatoes almost died when we moved them outdoors. I pretty much gave up on them until one day I noticed a new leaf on one. The tops of the plants are dead and dry but new stems and leaves are coming up wonderfully from the bottom.
I still need to plant my green beans, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe and peppers but I am in no hurry. The very first garden I ever planted was in the middle of July and it did very well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great. I planted a potato in a pot over a week ago and so far it hasn't even started to grow.

Helen Ruth said...

Pamela and I shared our first tomato today. We plucked it from our vine. YUMMY!

How's the weather in Lubbock? Have you been getting the high temps too?

Patty said...

Patty I am told that some people have good luck with potatoes by stacking old tires one on top the other and plant potatoes in each layer as you stack them. to harvest just knock the tires down one at a time. God Bless, Patty

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop