Thursday, October 1, 2009

Milo

This morning Pat traveled to Petersburg Texas to buy a trailer load (almost 3,000 pounds) of Milo for our chickens. When he got back home I was very surprised to see it was not red Milo but beige Milo!
I had no idea Milo was any color other than red (this is what the red Milo looks like). Over the years we have purchased Milo by the bag and by the trailer load; but this is the very first time we ever received a different color.
Most of the chickens do not know what to think of the change; but I imagine they will get used to it.
We currently have around 175 chickens that will need to be fed all winter; the majority of their diet is Milo.

6 comments:

Browndirtcottage said...

This is a hoot....I wonder if that is some Mr. Brown Dirt has been harvesting???

randi said...

WOW! That is a lot of chickens! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting.. I didn't know there was different colors either..
The chickens will get use to it.. after all they'll eat just about anything.

Carrie said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed reading through it. We got 7 chickens in the spring and have enjoyed raising them and eating the fresh eggs. I can't imagine having as many chickens as you!

QuiltedSimple said...

is milo good for chickens? Might beat paying the price of layer mash through the winter....do you feed them anything else?
Kris

Helen Ruth said...

SOON, mine are going to start laying! Can't wait. Of course, I couldn't IMAGINE buying a truck full of feed! I'm just buying the 50lb bags from the feedstore. Discovered a new feedstore close to my house in Georgetown.

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop