Tuesday, February 2, 2010

From Cracker To Cookie

Several years ago my mom wrote a recipe book for us kids of dishes we grew up eating. This book is well loved and each of us kids treasure it greatly! Saltine Cracker Cookies

Line an 11 x 17 cookie sheet with foil and oil the foil.Place saltine crackers on foil; be sure to fill all open spaces with crackers.Bring to boil 1 cup butter; do not use margarine.
And 1 cup brown sugar.
Boil for 3 minutes.Pour onto crackers and spread well.Bake in a 350 oven for 5 minutes.As soon as you pull the pan from the oven sprinkle the top with a 12-ounce package of chocolate chips. I like using miniature chips because they melt faster.As the chocolate chips begin to soften spread out evenly.Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts.Allow to harden; if you are impatient, like I am , place in the fridge or freezer to quicken the process.Store in a covered container.

This recipe has been linked up to Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday Parade of Food.

5 comments:

Packrat said...

Thank you for sharing. I have always wondered how these were made. The cookbook idea is wonderful.

Ann said...

Wow, these look fantastic! I may have to try making some. Will definitely save the recipe. I've been catching up on reading your blog. I think I'll go type up an email to you while I've got you on my mind!! (((hugs)))

Helen said...

YUM!! I haven't made these in awhile. One of these days...

Enid said...

Well that sounds perfect for this friday! Thanks!

Pat aka Posh said...

Wow! I'd forgot what that book looked like.. seems I also put some of my artistic scribbles on the cover too :-)
I've been thinking of making more of those candies but keep forgetting to buy the crackers.

msn live statistics
Hewlett Packard Laptop